Monday, June 9, 2014

Yellow Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting


My little boy is 8 today! I can't even believe it. I can't even imagine how fast the next 10 years are going to go….teenage years…. high school graduation. Ugh, I don't even want to think about it! He can stay little forever. I will be fine with that. 



The weekend was filled with lots of cake. Too much cake actually. I think I've brushed my teeth 100 times this weekend and I still feel like there are coated with an inch of sugar. It was worth it though. Cake is good. Frosting is even better. Fudge frosting is even better than that.

Saturday I mad cupcakes for the small family celebration we would be having on Sunday. I asked Jacob what he flavor he wanted for a cake and he said he didn't care, so I made Yellow cake with chocolate fudge frosting. Lets just say, Yum, Sweet, Yum.

Yellow Cake

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream

Fudge Frosting

1/2 cup butter
3 squares (1 ounce per square) unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
1 lb powdered sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

For the cake:

Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare pans.

In a bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder. In the bowl of a stand mixer beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and the milk. Stir in sour cream on low.

Pour cake batter in to desired prepared pans. Bake until done. This recipe made 24 cupcakes. They took about 15-20 minutes in the oven. If you are using a different sized pan, adjust accordingly.

For frosting:

In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate until smooth. In the bowl of a stand mixer add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup milk, vanilla; turn on low and add melted chocolate. Beat for a few minutes until combined. Add more milk until you reach desired consistency. *frosting will harden up a bit once it's cooled.*

Let cupcakes cool, frost and enjoy.

I don't know what it is about sour cream, but whenever I add it to a cake mixture, the cake always comes out super moist. Have you ever added an ingredient to a recipe and was pleasantly surprised with the results?





Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I love yellow cake with fudge frosting! Yum!! Happy birthday Jacob!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these cupcakes look yummy! So worth brushing teeth 100 times :D
    Happy Birthday to your 8 year old!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Stop by and say hello!