Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Herb Roasted Chicken


There is more snow in the forecast! Yay…..This weekend about 6 inches fell and about 3 or 4 more will be piling on top of it. I'm not a huge fan of snow. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty and all but having to drive in it or go anywhere in it doesn't make it very fun. I was talking to a coworker a while ago and made a statement that snow really wouldn't be that bad, if it didn't fall on roads, walkways, parking lots or cars. If we could just enjoy the beauty of it fallen on the trees, don't you think it would be so much more enjoyable. Is there someone we can make a suggestion to?

MOTHER NATURE, ARE YOU LISTENING??!!

Ha! If only it were that simple.

Well, Friday before the storm I headed to the grocery store. I desperately needed to go.  We were down to  a few condiments and heels of bread. Whether it's part of my meal plan or not, I'm always on the look out for meats that are on Managers Special. These usually are the meats that are almost ready to expire but are still good, if you use them right away or freeze them. Well, I happened to find 2 whole chickens cut up for $4 a piece. This weeks menu called for a cuts of rotisserie chicken so rather than buy a rotisserie I figured I'd roast it myself and still have lots left over to store in the freezer for future meals.



Herb Roasted Chicken

2 whole chickens, cut up
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt & Pepper
3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chives
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp crushed rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme

Line a large cookie sheet with tinfoil. Arrange Chicken to fit. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; drizzle with olive oil. In a small bowl, combine garlic, chives, parsley, onion, marjoram, rosemary and thyme; rub spice mixture on chicken. Drizzle balsamic and orange juice over the chicken. If it starts to brown too fast, cover loosely with tin foil. 

Bake in the oven at 350° for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until no longer pink.

If storing in the freezer:

Let chicken cool completely, cut meat off the bone and place about 2 cups of meat in a freezer bag. Amounts will vary depending on size of the chickens. I was able to get 6 bags.

Now, if I have any upcoming recipes that call for rotisserie chicken, I'll already the meat ready to go in my freezer.

Linked up here:
Ginger Snap Crafts

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so easy and delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. Can't wait to try it, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Stop by and say hello!