Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Faux Gingerbread Ornaments



Don't these little guys look good enough to eat? Although they smell divine, I wouldn't recommend eating them. You'd be in for a really sore mouth and maybe some broken teeth if you tried. Wouldn't want that now would you? …didn't think so.

 

Doing my daily browsing on Pinterest I found a pin for cinnamon dough. The recipe called for applesauce but I didn't have applesauce so what's a girl to do? Create her own recipe. I wasn't sure if it was going to work, but I felt daring so I decided to just go with the flow.

 

I've had a bottle of cinnamon sitting on my spice shelf for some time. I've been using organic cinnamon for the past year and 1/2 so who knows how long it's been sitting there. Of course I kept it,  it still smelled good even though it was way past its expiration date but I figured there would be something to use it for.  And guess what? I found something to use it for.

 

I apologize for the lack or 'real' instructions. I kind of went with what worked for this and played with it until it was the right consistency. It was really effortless and didn't take much working with anyway.

 

What you need:

 

Cinnamon

Flour

Water

Salt

Rolling pin and various cookie cutters

 

I'll wait. Go on and grab your stuff.

 

 

 

Okay, good. You came back.

 

In a small/medium size bowl  measure out a half a cup of cinnamon and 1 cup of flour. Sprinkle in some salt. I'm not sure why I did this, but it seemed like the thing to do. LOL

 

 Add water a little bit at a time and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until it starts to form a ball. If it is too wet keep adding a combination of flour and cinnamon until you get a firm dough. It should be firm but wet enough that it doesn't stick to the counter when you roll it. If that makes any sense what so ever. Knead it for a few minutes.

 

Roll out like cookie dough and cut until your hearts desire.

 

Preheat oven to 200 and bake for a few hours until they are rock hard. To experiment, I left some out to air dry. Air drying works too but it will take a long time. We made these on Saturday and by Monday they were only 1/2 way dry. So I would recommend the oven unless you are very patient.

 

When they are done, Don't eat them! Just kidding…I know you wouldn't…but really, now is the time to decorate. I opted to decorate them with gesso. I'm sure you could use puff paint, but gesso looks like royal icing and makes these ornaments almost good enough to eat…almost.

 

 

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. They do look good enough to eat. I love the fact that not having the ingredients didn't stop you from coming put with your own version . . . and who is to say that it isn't better than the first version, right?
    My name is Connie and I'm happy to met you. I had a little free time today, so I've been out surfing and checking out who my followers are following. That's how I found you.

    Come on over and visit.
    I am having my first Give-Away, to celebrate my first year as a blogger. I have met so many wonderful and talented people through blogging.
    Your new blogging friend, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theses are so cute! I need to get some done this year with my son. He enjoyed making them two years ago, I'm sure he'll enjoy it again. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Stop by and say hello!